October 3, 2012

Review: Deep Desires by Charlotte Stein


Deep Desires by Charlotte Stein
The reason I read this book was because last week everyone was talking about it. Curiosity got the best of me and I went into it hopeful but not really expecting such an interesting story. It’s an Erotic Romance that’s actually erotic. Kinky and explicit enough to be more than an average Contemporary with a lot of sex (as it’s usually the case with most of the Erotic Romances out there), yet there’s enough romance and character development to make it compelling beyond the sex.

Deep Desires has a fair amount of twist and discovering the characters is part of the journey, so I will try to be vague as possible about it. Our heroine is Abbie, and the story isn't only told from her POV, but there’s almost no dialogue whatsoever, so we are truly, deeply in her head. One day her neighbor gives her a peep show: she sees him naked through her window while he masturbates* and it’s obvious that he’s doing it for her. That scene sets the story in motion. At first, they silently interact through their windows. Then she finds out that his name is Ivan, he starts sending her presents and little by little their characters unfold. There’s something off about him, he’s secretive and has OCD tendencies. But that’s fine, because there’s something off about Abbie as well.

The first half of the book is all about sex. There’s no dialogue and the interaction between the leads happen through their respective windows. But the story has character development, a unique romance and a happy ending. It was very good and the only thing that prevents it from being fantastic was the predictable ending. For a book that’s everything but traditional, the ending was a huge disappointment. However, this is probably one of the best Erotic Romances I've read this year.

Everything surrounding Abbie and Ivan is mysterious. Despite being deeply in her head we don’t exactly know what happened to her. What’s obvious is that they recognize something in each other that makes them decide that it’s safe to establish a relationship, weird as it may be. Their pasts are very dramatic, I thought it was over the top and it’s one of the reasons why the ending wasn't up to par with the rest. But the resolution and revelations are emotional and make the happy ending sweeter. Abbie and Ivan fit as a couple and their love story was surprisingly romantic. 

This is a novella and I think the short length fits it well. In fact, I’m glad it was short because I don’t think I want to read a longer story told through such deep POV. It can be tiresome and a full-length story wouldn't have worked. 

It was a very compelling book and I liked it very much. It has a great balance between sex and story, even though most of the book is filled with sex. Here is proof that Erotic Romance isn't just about sex.

*My name is Brie and I like books where the hero masturbates in front of the heroine. Don't judge! 

Review by Brie
Grade: 4.5
Sensuality: McSteamy borderline McBurning
Purchase: Amazon 

Synopsis:

The Further She Goes, the More She Needs ... 
Abbie Gough has done her best to escape a violent past. But in the process, she’s avoided life, desire and love. So when she sees her equally closed off neighbour, Ivan, performing for her one night through his window, she can’t stop looking.  
Voyeuristic pleasures become Abbie’s lifeline. But as she comes alive and craves more, Ivan backs away. He has his own secrets , the kind that draw her into kinky games and her own shameful desires, while also preventing real intimacy between them. But now she’s found someone so special, she’s not about to give up easily. And she’s willing to do whatever it takes to melt Ivan’s cool exterior. Even if captivating him means pushing through her limits to whatever lies beyond.

Mischief (HarperCollins). September 27, 2012.

11 comments:

  1. I agree about the ending. Although I could have used a longer book. Or maybe more of a hfn ending...

    but otherwise yes. So good. I love this author's voice.

    *********Mandi's favorite books are those that have the hero masturbating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should form a club... Or a support group ;-)

      Delete
  2. I'm really not into erotica anymore, but you have me REALLY intrigued about these two characters. While some of the action of the characters can seen as creepy, there is actually something kind of mysterious about it all as well. Now I want to know what the hell compels these two in their window play, and what have each of them been through to bring them together.

    I'm glad it's a short story though, It makes me more interested in picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't creepy, I think the author did that part well because it kind of make sense for the characters. If you ever feel like reading an ER, give this one a try. At least it's short so you will read it fast.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read an erotic read in some time. I know that I would pick up this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of disagree with you about the ending, because...

    *SPOILER*

    I can't get over the feeling that the ending was not real. I suspect it may have been deliberately written so that readers could believe it was a happy ending, but it really wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got that impression from it. I thought it was just your regular, rushed HEA... What exactly do you mean by not real? Like it was a dream and she died, or just deceiving because it makes us believe they get better, when in truth they don't? I'm going to re-read the ending and I'll be back, because right now I don't exactly remember what happens. Give me more details so I can mull it over.

      Delete
    2. I'm back! I re-read it, and I still don't exactly know what you meant. But now I'm really curious, so please come back!

      Delete
    3. Yes... *SPOILERS*

      I think it was all a dream and she died. It's too magically perfect to be real.

      Delete
    4. I can see why you would think that. The scene leading up to the confrontation is Abbie dreaming about being with Ivan, and we don't realize it's a dream until she wakes up. The scene after the confrontation is very similar in that she narrates what he says, and it seems as if the dialogue is in her head. But there is some interaction and real dialogue, so to me that's what gives away that she's alive and not dreaming or dead. Does it make sense?

      But you do make a good point. I never saw it that way, but now I think you could be right. We should ask Ms. Stein about it.

      Delete

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.