March 22, 2012

Review: I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

I honestly think that Sophie Kinsella is the queen of Chick Lit. She creates these amazing characters and the funniest stories, so when I've Got Your Number came out the first thing I did after finishing my happy-dance was buy it. It was worth every penny.

Poppy -I love this name- is freaking out. She lost her engagement ring when she was at a party and she gives her number to everyone at the hotel so they can get in touch once they find it. But then she gets mugged, so she finds herself phoneless and desperate. That’s when she finds a phone in a trash can and decides to keep it for herself. But with the phone comes Sam Roxton (it used to belong to his assistant), a business man that after some convincing, agrees to let her keep it with the condition that she forwards every message and email to him.

The scene when they meet each other is hilarious, so try to read it when you are in a place where laughing out loud isn’t frowned upon –I was at the doctor’s-. My only warning is that you have to stretch your imagination a bit because in the real world when you find a corporative phone, you can’t and won’t use it freely, and you won’t become a PA over the weekend without really being part of the company.

Warning aside, the story is very fresh. It reflects well what’s going on now with the internet and all those phones and tablets. We no longer have to be present to have a relationship with someone, now we can have relationships through our mobile devices without having to actually meet. So even though our leads only communicate through emails and calls, they end up developing a relationship that starts as a reluctant friendship and ends in romance.

I don’t want to give a lot away with this review but something has to be said about Magnus and “the parents”. He is Poppy’s fiancĂ©, an obnoxious guy that is not exactly bad, just selfish and full of insecurities, overly concerned with being or looking smart in his academic world (he is a college professor). This is obviously a poor match for a girl like Poppy who is kind and a little bit silly, but after six months of dating they don’t really know each other so well.  His parents are quite a handful and once you meet them you get some insight into why Magnus is the way he is. I’m kind of ashamed to say that the academic world is filled with people like that, it was a cartoonish portrayal and yet it ringed true to me.

This book is sooo funny that you won’t believe it. It starts amazing, it loses a little of its charm in the middle but the ending is good. It’s not as good as Can You Keep a Secret? But that book was perfect so the standard is a hard one to meet. Poppy reminded me of Becky from the Shopaholic Series, but Kinsella heroines are a bit of a trademark so I’m not surprised by the similarities.

I have to confess that part of my love for the book is, in some extent, a consequence of me being such a fan of Sophie's work, but if you’re a fan of chick lit I’m positive that you’ll love it too. Funny, refreshing and invigorating, that’s what it is.

Review by Marie
Grade: 4
Sensuality: McDreamy


Synopsis:
I've lost it. The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate Poppy. Stay positive!!



Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry the ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her 'happy ever after' begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring but in the panic that followed, she has now lost her phone. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring.

Perfect!

Well, perfect except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree. He wants his phone back and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other's lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents... she soon realises that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.
Random House Publishing Group. February 14, 2012

12 comments:

  1. I know how it feels when you read a book that caters exactly to your tastes and you know in your head that it's not really that awesome, but in your heart it's the best thing ever.

    I wasn't really bothered by the phone thing, it was ridiculous and no one in their right mind will ever use a phone found in a trash can, they would go across the street and buy a new one, but that's what fiction and fantasy are for, right? Ms. Kinsella pulls it off so kudos to her, had this been a less talented author I bet I would have DNF'd it right there, or maybe after Sam agrees to let her keep the phone! LOL

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sophie Kinsella! Undomestic Goddess is my favorite I think but I like everything she likes. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayhjay!
      I loved Undomestic Goddess too. I pretty much love everything she writes.

      Delete
  3. Great review Marie :) I felt the same way as you :) Very good beginning, but it dragged a bit in the middle. I have to say, I'm glad that Poppy was able to face Magnus' mother and let her know how she felt.

    There were some serious parts, but all in all, it was meant to be a fun read and it succeeded :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nath!
      I am tempted to call my daughter Poppy! I had a blast reading the book, as I said is refreshing.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Last year I read the first in her shopaholic series, and though I hated the main character, I really enjoyed the story. I've been wanting to pick something else of her's up to see it I would still be charmed. Looks like this is a good one to try. I am a sucker for a lol book and chick lit happens to be one of my favorite genres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jade!
      Hope you're doing great! I recommend you to read Can you keep a secret? That book will seal the deal for you, promise!

      Delete
  5. I read Sophie Kinsella for the first time recently. I have a review coming up but, I have no idea what took me so long. Her characters are endearing and the stories are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexis!
      I'll be checking your blog to read the review . What book did you read?

      Delete
  6. I thought the phone thing was kind of weird too but I just went with it. Kinsella is so talented that she can do that to a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed so much while reading it. I agree on the part where when you read, you can relate to Poppy's amazing personality. I love every funny part, and the quote was totally hilarious... laughing till my tears fall down.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.